This is such a fun project to do in inclement weather or when your kids have a little downtime. Using a few household items, your children can create crystallized ornaments and trinkets in no time.
Clean and empty jars (large enough to accommodate your design)
Wooden sticks or straws
- Have your children create designs out of pipe cleaners.
- Parents, heat 2 – 3 cups of water per jar (depending on size) in a pot. Bring just to a boil and let cool for a few minutes before working.
- Let children measure 3 tablespoons of Borax per 1 cup of water. (we used 9 tablespoons for 3 cups for each jar)
- Pour the water into the jars and stir using a long spoon until combined with the Borax. Help your child as it will be hot!
- Attach the pipe cleaner designs to a wooden stick or straw.
- Gently lower the pipe cleaner designs into the jars and rest the wooden stick across the top of the jar.
- Place jars where they will not be disturbed and wait at least 24 hours until the shapes have crystalized. They may start forming within a few hours.